What is NLP ?
NLP explores the relationships between how we think (neuro), how we communicate (linguistic) and our patterns of behaviour and emotion (programmes). Neuro linguistic programming (NLP) is the study of excellence. It is a process of modeling the conscious and unconscious patterns that are unique to each of us in such a way that we are continuously moving toward a higher potential. NLP is not a thing – it is the study of what works, especially of what works well.
Neuro refers to our brain and our physiology. We learn habits, some of which we need to get by in life: how to walk and talk, how to breathe, how to drive, how to ride a bike, how to eat, how to laugh and cry, and how to feel the way that we do. Most of our habits are stored in our unconscious mind. Some will be for the better and some will be for the worse. By increasing our awareness of the patterns in our thinking, we can learn how we are influencing the results we are getting in work and in life more generally. The key to finding personal and business success comes from within ourselves; learning about how we think enables us to find the answers we need.
Linguistic is the verbal and nonverbal language that we use to communicate with ourselves and others. Our language is our life. What we can say is what we can think and what we can do. Learning to understand and master the structure of our language is essential in a world where communication in all its various forms is the lifeblood of our personal and business welfare.
Programming is the way in which we put these patterns of thinking, language and behavior together to get the results that we do – good and bad. We run our lives by strategies, in a similar way that a computer uses a program to achieve a specific result. By understanding those strategies we give ourselves choice: choice to do more of the same or choice to enhance our potential and our individual excellence.
In essence, NLP is the study of our thinking, behavior and language patterns to help us build sets of strategies for everything we do – for making decisions, building relationships, starting up a business, coaching a team of people, inspiring and motivating others, creating balance in our lives, negotiating our way through the day and, above all, learning how to learn. The good news is that we can learn how to refine our existing strategies as well as discovering new ones and even discarding those that are redundant. The bad news is that for the most part the critical pieces of these strategies are outside our conscious awareness.Reference: Knight, Sue (2010-11-01). NLP At Work: The Essence of Excellence (People Skills for Professionals) (p. 2). NB Ltd. Kindle Edition.
How will you benefit from learning NLP?
Success comes from within. Our success depends on our ability to be excellent in everything we think, say and do. NLP provides us with a way to achieve this excellence. By mastering the concepts in this book and making them your own, you will discover the essence of your own and others’ excellence. You will achieve more of what you really want and become more of who you truly are. Excellence is context specific. Many business models fail because they assume that what works in one environment will work in another, yet what makes a leading entrepreneur in one environment may be quite different to what constitutes success in another. NLP is a means of coding excellence and enhancing it so that you can establish what really works for you in your environment and with your skills.More specifically, NLP can support you in learning how to do the following:
- Discover the essence of your excellence so that you can tap into that in whatever context you choose.
- Learn how to bring out that excellence in others.
- Accelerate your ability to learn so that you can not only manage change but initiate and embrace it, enabling you to excel in your particular specialism and field of work.
- Learn how to laugh at situations with others in ways that create healing and learning.
- Discover how you relate to and use time and make choices that will enable you to experience time as you want.
- Learn how to listen with respect and naivety in a way that allows you to truly learn about others and their needs and wants.
- Continually develop new ways of thinking that support you whatever the changes in the external world.
- Let go of old, traditional patterns and habits that constrict your growth and release hidden talents that are appropriate today.
- Embrace feedback in a way that enables you to develop new ideas and products with the involvement of all your customers, colleagues and friends.
- Set compelling outcomes for yourself, ones that by their very nature take on a momentum of their own and maximize the chances that you will achieve what you want, both personally and for your business.
- Develop formulae for yourself to enable you to respond to, and more importantly take a lead in, the world of high technology so that you combine the best of high-tech thinking with awareness of yourself and others.
- Build high-quality relationships with significant people in all contexts of your life, in whatever medium is appropriate.
- Heighten your awareness of yourself and others, so that you are sensitive to the subtle shifts in behaviour and attitude that provide feedback on the effects of the way you communicate.
- Develop your flexibility so that you have more choices and consequently more influence over the situations in your life.
- Improve your ability to generate commitment, cooperation and enthusiasm in the people around you.
- Manage your thoughts and feelings so that you are in control of your emotions and your destiny.
- Develop your ability to tap into your unconscious mind and draw on its superior power and potential.
- Accept and love whatever you have and in so doing love yourself and others in a way that transforms your business and your life.
Knight, Sue (2010-11-01). NLP At Work: The Essence of Excellence (People Skills for Professionals) (pp. 5-6). NB Ltd. Kindle Edition.